Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Fear

Tonight we had a new problem occur. Cy was terrified when he tried to go to bed. I know some of you have had children work through this same issue. Any advise? I read him a story tonight and like always he begged me to read book after book. But this time he begged with a little more urgency. Normally when I leave the room he is fine, but tonight he screamed and said he wanted lights. I put a night light in his room, but it wasn't bright enough for him (it really didn't light up his room, it was an energy efficient something or another). So, I gave him a flashlight. I know that was mistake #1, moving on though. Later I caught him frantically moving the flashlight all around the room to find "monsters." Shane and I both laid down with him in his bed. That was no help, his eyes were still wide open. We then moved him to our bed. I know...mistake #2, but sometimes when you are out of ideas, you do what you can. So that didn't work. We may have even turned on some TV for awhile. But of course that didn't help either. It is 10:50 pm and as of right now, he is still awake. This process started at 8:30 pm! We have prayed over him several times but have seen no immediate change. However we of course will continue. Seriously, any advise?

2 comments:

Jenny said...

We have not had the scare thing with our kids yet. Tug now has this new thing where he likes to have the radio on. We put it on sleep and we tell him if he gets up or calls too often the radio goes off. I think you did all we would have done. Did he watch something that would make his scared?

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen, this is Sam, not Jason....anyway, I was reading your blog and I just got done reading a couple articles about fear in little ones. It was from the Family Fun Magazine. Do you get that magazine? It is their Dec./Jan. 09 issue. The listed a couple of websites if you can't get the magazine. Try WorryWiseKids.org , adaa.org , childanxiety.net , and toolkitsforkids.com . Good Luck!