As parents I am sure we have all had those moments of pure terror as our son or daughter gasps for air right before the screaming begins. Tonight that happened for us. We took Cy out to Walton park, our group (bible study) was meeting out there for some fellowship time. If you know Walton park than you know that it is more for bigger kids, with a few little kid activities. Anyhow Cy went down a slide that was a big boy slide. It was very slick, not to mention he had on slick athletic pants, so he just slid right off the end. The only problem was the end was a 2-3 foot drop. To make a long story short, he hit his butt and then his head. I watched the whole thing, but was far enough away that I could do nothing but watch. He has a big knot on his head and had a pretty bloody nose (blood makes scrapes look so much worse than they are). Everyone was so helpful and got us first aid kits and paper towels. We got him cleaned off, and the rest of the evening he stayed on the swings. He is a trooper, and I think he thought the ice cream and Curious George bandaids (that went on his legs...where there were no scratches) made it all better. To top this all off, this was the moment Will decided to say his second and most important word, Mama (his first was Dada). Shane was trying to keep him preoccupied, as I was cleaning Cy off, so he was saying mamama and dadada over and over. Will generally thinks this is hilarious, so it was a good tactic to keep him occupied, but not such great timing for me to be able to appreciate one of his firsts.
This whole evening made me realize just what it is to have boys. I need to accept that they will have bumps, bruises, and scrapes. It is a part of their growing up. Since every man I know has scars that have crazy stories that go along with them, I am sure they will be no exception. Maybe there are lessons to be learned from every boo boo, like being patient and waiting till you're old enough to go down the big boy slide.

Here's what his nose looked like after the trip down the slide. Poor guy! I am sure it will heal quickly and leave no scars.
2 comments:
I didn't know Will had said anything!! Dang it! I haven't heard a word. . .
I know exactly what you mean, everytime Christian gets hurt it feels like my heart sinks into my chest. It almost feels like I'm hurt worse than him the way I tend to react. I need to learn that boys will be boys! Poor CY and his little nose.
Post a Comment