Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Cloth vs. disposable

When Cy was first born, I thought about doing cloth diapers. However, cloth diapers are very different from the ones our parents used. I was a little overwhelmed with the variety available and decided to just use disposables. A couple weeks ago I got my bimonthly issue of Mothering magazine (if you want to borrow it feel free). It had 2 huge articles on everything I have ever wondered about cloth diapers. I even found out that I can try one for free. I just got a couple in the mail yesterday. So I will have to tell you what I think after I use them a few more times. But my initial impression is that they are cute and fairly absorbent. I also switched to cloth wipes about a week ago. They are great! I just put 12 cloth wipes in a pampers baby wipes tub and fill it up with 2 cups of water. I have a mixture that I spray on them of baby oil, water, and baby wash. So far so good. But again I'll get back to you once I try these for a while. Who knows what my water bill will be when I have to do wash every day.:)

Here are a few facts I learned about disposables...
It is illegal to dispose of human waste in trash disposables. So everyone is suppose to be dumping the contents of their diapers into the toilet before throwing them away.
If you kept every diaper ever used by your child from birth to the potty training stage, they would fill up your whole house from floor to ceiling.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where do you put the diaper pin? and how do you get those things folded like that?

cressfamily said...

There is no diaper pin. They velcro or snap just like disposable diapers. There is also no folding. They look and are used just like disposable diapers.

Brandijo said...

Yes, please keep us informed on how that works out! And if it ends up a pain trying to wash those.

Anonymous said...

uh.... you knew i was kidding,right?

cressfamily said...

now i do. :) That was some of that Cress humor that I don't always get. You and Shane have the same sense of humor. Sometimes Shane will tell me a joke and I'll even call it an Oran joke. He agrees and sometimes he'll catch himself and say that was a Dad joke.