Thursday, January 01, 2009

True meaning of Christmas

This Christmas season has seemed like a whirlwind of going, going, going. As I look back on it, I have realized that we did a terrible job of showing and teaching our children what Christmas is all about. It seemed as though we went from place to place opening presents, eating, and spending just enough time with family to get to the next place to start the whole process again. I am not saying we didn't enjoy spending time with family, but I want quality and quantity time with family. It was also a little overwhelming for the boys as well. I know this because they seem to be cranky and anxious a lot more lately. We have another year to figure out how to better teach our children the meaning of Christmas and establish some traditions that aren't so centered on consumerism and glutenous eating. Do you have any great traditions that help keep your family focused at Christmas? I would love to hear them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have found lots of great ideas on this website for Advent and Christmas related traditions and games:

http://rethinkingyouth.blogspot.com/search/label/ideas%2Fresources

I used some with the youth at our church, but there are so many good ideas that I couldn't keep up with them this year.

It is hard to start traditions with your kids when they are so little and their attention spans are way shorter than my own!

Hope you all are doing well, the Fishers are thinking of you.